Historic & Cultural Resources
History and the arts are in plain view throughout Ontario County, where museums, art galleries, studios and historic sites “paint the picture” of our community and people. All together, there are 10 distinctive museums in Ontario County as well as the Ontario County Historical Society, which showcase the importance of Ontario County and the Finger Lakes’ role in American history.
Some of the many historic and cultural opportunities in the Finger Lakes include:
• Learning about the Native American communities and culture at Ganondagan State Historic Site
• Exploring the agriculture of the region by visiting many of our roadside farm stands and tasting the products that our vibrant farm industry produces
• Step back in time and see how our villages and towns grew by taking a stroll in the historic districts that preserve the architectural treasures and historic homes
• Take time to admire the Ontario County Courthouse where women’s history was made with the trial of Susan B. Anthony
• Check out the archival collections in many of our libraries or visit the Ontario County Records and Archives Center to explore a detailed genealogical history of Ontario County
Ontario County also has deep roots within the arts community and many artists call Ontario County their home. The local artisans carry on our region’s tradition of creativity and innovation, and shops throughout the county like Artizanns showcase the one-of-a-kind works of art produced in the region.
Theater and music performances are a staple of our community, with performances at the Bristol Valley Theater, the historic Smith Opera House and CMAC, the spectacular Constellation Brands–Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center.
Food is also an important part of the culture of Ontario County. Visit the New York Wine and Culinary Center to learn all about the foods and wines of the region, enjoy dinner in the dining room, or take a cooking class in the Hands-On Kitchen. While you are exploring the food, also make sure to take a wine tour of the area on the Canandaigua Wine Trail.
For more on the historic and cultural resources of Ontario County, click here.
- Business Atmosphere
- Sites & Buildings
- Living Here
- Visit Ontario County
- Contact Us